I wrote Three years in the past a submit describing the drive on the Great Ocean Road, with a couple of itineraries. It is immediately one of the in style articles on the internet.
I’ve over 300 feedback on that submit (and rising). It’s now time for me to write about where to stay in the Great Ocean Road (GOR), the most effective locations to be based mostly.
I reside in Melbourne and I am back in the world regularly. And that’s great!
As a result of this information is being frequently up to date, no previous stuff, 2019 details.
Like several place in the world, also the Great Ocean Road is going by way of an enormous transformation. A number of cities along the drive have changed so much in the last 3-5 years.
My greatest tip right here is to dedicate a minimum of 2 full days to the drive, if potential 3 or more.
And now let’s go straight to the perfect town to stay.
In case you are in search of local events it is best to examine the native newspapers: the Geelong Advertiser and the Surf Coast Occasions.
Did you know that the Great Ocean Road is definitely a route registered in the Australian Nationwide Heritage listing? That’s to say how superb and unmissable it is.
Let me go down to the point. One of the best town to stay in the Great Ocean Road to see the 12 Apostles and the other iconic points of interest is, in my opinion, Port Campbell. Good base for a first-time visitor.
Nevertheless, the GOR is a street 243km long (151 miles) that begins in Torquay and ends in Allansford, a small village between Port Campbell and Warrnambool. Each town alongside the route has its personal character, attraction and activities.
And in this respect, there’s more than only one “best town”.
- Torquay: the surfing place to be. It has two nice seashores, one widespread with browsing lessons and the other one much quieter, greatest for teenagers. Right here you find additionally the Australian Nationwide Surfing Museum, a must in case you are a passionate surfer. Nice little town, at first of the Great Ocean Road, a great base in case you depart too late from Melbourne or you could have an early flight.
- Anglesea: a tiny town with the perfect seashores for any like. In all probability the perfect town to stay in Great Ocean Road for households on the lookout for a quiet seashore to spend part of the vacation. You may also see kangaroos free rooming. From here you’ll be able to go to a lot of the GOR, nevertheless, you will want a full day journey for the 12 Apostles and the Bay of Island (170Km each means)
- Aireys Inlet: it’s a tiny town along the street, famous for the Cut up Home Lighthouse. I really like the gorgeous walks along the coast, secluded and romantic.
- Lorne: my favourite town on the Great Ocean Road. It has a implausible seashore, great to study browsing (very straightforward waves), plenty of green area for a picnic between the seashore and the primary street, together with a number of barbeque areas. When you’ve got youngsters there’s a good measurement playground and a trampoline space too. Loads of restaurants and cafes. The lengthy pier is admittedly fashionable in the summer time, great for a pleasant stroll.
- Wye River: probably the most secluded village, together with Kenneth River. They’re each half-way from Lorne to Apollo Bay, probably the most spectacular a part of the Great Ocean Road. It’s an amazing town to ebook a holiday house with in all probability the perfect view yow will discover in this part of Australia. I really like the vast seashore, nevertheless, it’s extra for professional swimmers.
- Apollo Bay: I like this town for 2 principal reasons: the good lengthy seashore and the proximity to the Great Otway National Park, with the various waterfalls, pretty walks and robust risk to spot the stunning koalas (extra ideas afterward my secret spot). I need to admit that in the previous few years the town has gone via a change that has not impressed me much and I will inform you why.
- Across the Otway Nationwide Park: In case you are on the lookout for a secluded and romantic stay, close to the coast and hidden in the forest then you must e-book your lodging in the park itself.
- Princetown: one of many closest town to the 12 Apostles, although “town” is a little bit of an enormous phrase. There is a Basic Store and, that’s it. It’s, nevertheless, the perfect place to stay in the Great Ocean Road on a finances. The accommodation tends to be much cheaper here then, for positive, in Port Campbell or Apollo Bay. Great location but not much character.
- Port Campbell: one of the best town to stay in the Great Ocean Road if you’d like to stay shut to the 12 Apostles, London Bridge and all the opposite iconic locations. Great base for those who plan a sunset or dawn on the 12 Apostles or Loch Ard Gorge. The town has its own character with plenty of meals options and a number of pubs to have a drink, or two. The seashore can also be great, with shallow water and no waves.
You might also assume to plan your go to to the Great Ocean Road as a day journey, nevertheless, hold in thoughts that the entire loop is over 500km. I wrote a submit about the most effective day-tours from Melbourne, including organised trips and a Do-It-Your self choice.
You will have a couple of prospects here and it all is dependent upon the kind of itinerary you need to comply with.
Chances are you’ll determine to stay in a single place and explore around from there or it’s your decision to guide a couple of lodging and comply with an itinerary.
What I personally recommend is to restrict the driving at night time or after sunset. There’s plenty of wildlife around which often comes out after sunset. Kangaroos may be actually massive, not to mention the wombat.
- 1 Guide a single lodging for the 2-3 days
- 2 Comply with an itinerary on the Great Ocean Road
- 3 Best place to stay on the Great Ocean Road for families
- 4 Best town on the Great Ocean Road for adults and couples
- 5 Best Romantic stay on the GOR
- 6 Holiday houses with one of the best view of the Great Ocean Road
Guide a single lodging for the 2-3 days
You possibly can stay in a town or in a extra secluded spot, like in the Great Otway Nationwide Park.
For my part, the most effective place to stay in Great Ocean Road for 2 or 3 days is closer to the 12 Apostles
Staying in Port Campbell for a useful location
A lot of the iconic points of interest are around Port Campbell
- London Bridge
- Loch Ard Gorge
- Twelve Apostles
- Gibson Steps
- Childers Cove on a sunny day, superb seashore
- Bay of Islands
You’ll be able to simply spend the whole day visiting all the above if not even one and a half day.
Childers Cove is probably the most distant spot and I might recommend the visit only on a great weather day, especially in summer time.
From Port Campbell, you may drive to the Otway Nationwide Park to spend a day visiting the waterfalls and the Lighthouse at Cape Otway. The small street going to the cape (C157) is the most effective place to spot a couple of koalas.
On the final and ultimate day, you possibly can drive back to Melbourne via the Great Ocean Road. Probably the most scenic part is between Lorne and Apollo Bay.
If time is a priority you might also take the direct route from Port Campbell to Melbourne (C162 + C163 + A1/M1). You’ll be back in the town in Three-Three.5 hours.
Port Campbell is among the largest cities on the coast with plenty of choices for food and drinks.
It’s the perfect town to stay on the Great Ocean Road in case you are after additionally a restaurant, a cafe or a couple of drinks at night time.
The Forage on the Foreshore is my favourite spot for a coffee, right in entrance of the seashore. The 12 Rocks Seashore Bar is a pleasant place, also at the seashore, for a number of drinks, much less so for the meals.
Port Campbell is an effective spot additionally if you would like to spend a few hours sunbathing. The seashore is shallow and properly repaired (don’t anticipate huge waves). Great for a swim.
Staying in Princetown or the Otway National Park for a secluded breakaway
Princetown is a small village with just a common store. You’ll be literally next door to the Twelve Apostles and the Gibson Steps (there’s nevertheless nothing else round).
It’s an amazing spot in case you are on the lookout for a romantic getaway or an lodging on a price range on the Great Ocean Road (there are a couple of choices around).
Nevertheless, in case you are on the lookout for an actual secluded spot, apart from being romantic, I might recommend a stay in the Otway Nationwide Park, off the crushed monitor.
There are a couple of choices shut to Johanna Seashore which are absolutely beautiful. Sundown there’s insane and you’ll be most likely on your own.
However probably the most outstanding expertise nonetheless remains the Lightkeeper’s B&B on the Cape Otway Lightstation, really a singular place.
You’ll be impressed at night time by the various stars you will be able to see in the sky.
You’ll be able to organise your 2/3 days in an analogous method as for those who would stay in Port Campbell (see above).
Staying in Apollo Bay for a family seashore time
Apollo Bay has gone via an unimaginable transformation in the previous few years.
Go there at lunch time and it’s in all probability the busiest place on the Great Ocean Road with all of the day tours stopping there for a break before heading to the 12 Apostles.
Stay overnight and you will notice principally households with youngsters, and only a bunch of food options still open (most of them shut after the day vacationers depart)
There are numerous houses obtainable for lease in the market, absolutely serviced, which work great when you’ve got youngsters.
The seashore is great with straightforward surfing choices, good additionally for the newcomers, of any age.
Furthermore, take the automotive and in no time you’ll be in the Great Otway Nationwide Park.
For a lot of the other attraction (12 Apostles, London Bridge, and so on), dedicate a full day trip. Apollo Bay to 12 Apostles is a 1.5 hours journey (a method).
I might personally recommend Apollo Bay in case you are travelling as a household and you need to mix seashore time with points of interest and excursions.
Comply with an itinerary on the Great Ocean Road
It can be extra of a ache to unpack/pack the whole lot nevertheless you’ll have the pliability to transfer around and you will experience more locations in the evening and at night time
Two days itinerary on the Great Ocean Road
When you’ve got just 2 days and one night time then I might recommend to head right away to Port Campbell (~Three hours using the direct route from Melbourne, M1/A1 + C163 + C164) and stay there for the night time.
On the primary day you possibly can go to all or a lot of the iconic points of interest:
- The London Bridge
- The Grotto, superb view and kids-friendly place
- Bay of Islands Coastal Park, as lovely as underrated in my opinion
and driving east:
- The Blowhole
- Loch Ard Gorge
- Tom and Eva Lookout
- The Razorback
- Twelve Apostles
- Gibson Steps
On the second day go to a number of native points of interest (if any left from the day earlier than) and drive again to Melbourne via the Great Ocean Road.
Listed here are a couple of of my favourite iconic places:
Three days itinerary on the Great Ocean Road
With Three days and two nights, you’ll have extra time to discover around.
Begin your drive in Melbourne and cease on the Torquay outlet surfing metropolis for some buying.
On a nice summer time day go to the Jan Juc seashore for a swim, such an attractive spot. There’s also a nice 1-2 hours stroll that follows the coast, just off the cliff.
Stop in Anglesea for lunch. Head to the Golf Membership to spot a number of kangaroos and drive to the Cut up Level Lighthouse for a walk. Chances are you’ll cease on the shallow Level Roadknight seashore for a swim on a nice day.
Comply with the Great Ocean Road until Lorne, my favourite town, where you will spend the first night time.
Start the second day with a brief trip to the Erskine Falls (the earlier the better, it’s a well-liked attraction). Then head to Teddy’s Lookout for the gorgeous view of probably the most spectacular section of the Great Ocean Road between Lorne and Apollo Bay.
You’ll arrive in Apollo Bay for lunch. From there drive via the Otway Nationwide Park. It’s your decision to visit the lighthouse and spot a number of koalas on the best way.
The Californian Redwoods is another superb place to go to in the park, just subsequent to the Hopetoun Falls.
Price range 1-2 hours for the Gibson Steps, some of the scenic beaches. Sunset is a must on the 12 Apostles
Stay the second night time at Port Campbell, a nice town with a stunning small seashore.
On the last day visit all the long-lasting points of interest around town and head back to Melbourne either via the direct route (to have an exposure of the Victorian countryside) or back on the Great Ocean Road.
Four days itinerary on the Great Ocean Road (and Grampians)
With four days and 3 nights chances are you’ll do an identical itinerary to the 3-days, nevertheless, you possibly can add one night time to spend at one of many 2 following places
- Port Fairy: this can be a lovely little town one hour west of Port Campbell. Once there visit Griffitts Island. Seashores are fabulous there.
- Grampians: a wonderful Nationwide Park with some easy-moderate trekking and lovely viewpoints. Stay in Halls Gap, the primary town with eating places, cafes and bars. Head to the Playground space at sunset to get closer to a number of wild kangaroos, they are often tremendous pleasant.
As you’ll be able to think about you will have loads of locations to stay alongside the Great Ocean Road. They all have their own character.
I might personally recommend these places based mostly on your sort of trip.
Best place to stay on the Great Ocean Road for families
Anglesea and Apollo Bay are my favourites. And let me inform you why.
They are each towns that get fairly busy through the day but very quiet from the late afternoon. They offer good playgrounds around and an inexpensive choice of restaurant options.
Level Roadknight seashore in Anglesea is one of the best seashore for teenagers on all of the coast with shallow water and no waves.
For older youngsters, each cities supply nice browsing for newbies with the likelihood to get personal lessons too.
You possibly can easily organise day trips to iconic points of interest because the 12 Apostles.
Best town on the Great Ocean Road for adults and couples
Lorne is a lovely town halfway on the Great Ocean Road with many restaurants, cafes and consuming options.
It’s a well-liked place at both day and night time with even a cinema screening the newest films, apart from a useful group hospital (simply in case).
Stroll down to the Grand Pacific Lodge for some of the iconic buildings in Victoria, dealing with the gorgeous lengthy pier.
So many options for an after-dinner drink. Pubs and bars with a late closure time.
Best Romantic stay on the GOR
You will have two prospects and you might nicely divide your holiday between the two:
- alongside the Great Ocean Road the place you can find a couple of isolated accommodations with a wonderful view over the coast. Go down to the local seashore for a couple of lovely walks, have a swim or head again to the accommodation for a pot of tea on the balcony.
- in the Otway National Park, in the wilderness, shut to the magnificent coast and the various waterfalls. You possibly can organise so many walks in the secluded beaches and the virgin forest. Just a tremendous expertise. Chances are you’ll even guide your B&B on the Lightkeeper’s house in the Cape Lighthouse. Really unique.
Holiday houses with one of the best view of the Great Ocean Road
There are a number of alongside the coast, nevertheless, Wye River tends to have in all probability the widest choice of them.
This village is halfway from Apollo Bay to Lorne, and it’s situated in probably the most scenic section of the Great Ocean Road, you will not be disillusioned.
Take your cooking components out of your local supermarket as a result of provide is by some means restricted and expensive.
There are not any eating places or bars open at night time. The Wye Common Store presents good coffees and brunch until the early afternoon.