Final updated on Might 31st, 2019 at 05:04 pm
To me, doing images in Hong Kong is like enjoying football in the Actual Madrid Stadium or basketball at the Madison Sq. Backyard or rugby at Twickenham. You bought the thought. Just the perfect.
This city has so much power that you’ll hardly put your digital camera in the bag, not even at night time.
Travel images in Hong Kong is a mix of panorama images, with the gorgeous bay and beyond, road images, with the various opportunities coming from a tremendous cosmopolitan metropolis, and architectural images, with the distinctive buildings and the high inhabitants density.
In my last Asian journey, I had a four days images trip in Hong Kong, together with Marco, a London-based pal and Andrea, knowledgeable native photographer that introduced us to a couple of superb and secret locations, apart from some iconic places
Constructing images reaches its greatest in Hong Kong, nevertheless, hold in mind that a couple of body corporates are limiting the entry. This information has been up to date to 2019, so no previous stuff.
With out additional ado let’s get into it.
In all places you go you can see choices for road images in Hong Kong. As straightforward as that.
The good thing is that everybody talks English, or at the least sufficient words to communicate.
I all the time favor to speak and understand the private stories of individuals earlier than capturing in an indiscriminate means.
There are clearly situations once I need to catch the moment and speak later, nevertheless, often, I all the time attempt to have amusing, two words, a chat with my images topics.
Based mostly on the Hong Kong space you visit you’ll have totally different sorts of topics.
In Wan Chai (Hong Kong Island) you possibly can expertise more of an area life, an ideal space for images at the market (I really like the Wan Chai Market), at the butchers (virtually in all places) and the veggie outlets. Everyone screaming and making an attempt to promote their very own product.
In Central (Hong Kong Island) you’ll find more vacationers and western individuals. Soho is my favorite part of Central with the Tai Kwun Middle of Heritage and Arts an ideal location to frame some nice photographs.
The JC Modern constructing has probably the most superb stairs I have ever seen.
At night time you’ll be able to experience loads of elevated restaurants, bars, taxi, road stalls, all beneath a mystic purple mild
Mong Kok (Kowloon) is the busiest place on earth according to an ABC article. And I’ll add, Mong Kok has probably the most lovely markets in Hong Kong.
I wrote a publish about probably the most fascinating districts in Hong Kong right here. It is best to have a learn to have a sense of the town.
The pink taxis have been all the time an incredible supply of inspiration to me.
Meals is in all places in Hong Kong
Fascinating individuals are literally in all places. I all the time like to embrace them in the foreground of iconic locations.
Sure, there are various house blocks in the town. It’s a busy place to reside, in addition to being very costly. Area is a real asset.
Constructing images in Hong Kong requires some planning as a result of the fascinating locations are typically removed from one another.
Later in the submit, you’ll be able to see a full map with my favourite spots, including a couple of secret ones (or at the very least not as well-liked)
Probably the most spectacular to me continues to be The Monster in Hong Kong Island. It requires although a little bit of a trip from Central.
I personally recommend visiting this constructing at night time when you’ll be less probably to meet other photographers and the light is general better I consider.
Through the day it may be busy with many Instagrammers and the locals are usually not proud of so many intruders.
For a unique view, take a photograph from the other multilevel garage.
Just meters from the Monster I discovered a tremendous hidden spot, with the “Inception” building. I have by no means seen this constructing in any photograph before, a singular view. I made the identify up, by the best way, however I feel it’s applicable.
The Choi Hung Estate is one other nice location. It’s additionally a well-liked one though. Go there as early as you’ll be able to in the morning. In the afternoon it’s unattainable to make any clear photograph.
The Ping Shek Estate continues to be a bit of a hidden secret spot. There are four sq. building with an analogous shape. Access to the central yard is thru the constructing tunnel (no locks).
In case you are in a position to squeeze in by way of one of many doors you’ll be able to access, by means of the staircase, the top flooring (it’s a whole lot of steps). There’s a doorman on the elevator.
I also performed a bit with the panorama mode of my cellular for some artistic pictures.
I personally like to take close up of the buildings, making an attempt to all the time create a contrast between the ages of development, the colours and different parts. Spotlight one thing fascinating.
For a couple of fascinating pictures, I recommend a visit to one or more markets. Loads of subjects for some straightforward images in Hong Kong. Why?
- individuals are so busy that they will not care about you taking pictures. So, in case you don’t feel assured in photographing individuals in the road then the market is the place to begin with.
- this is where a lot of the locals go for grocery buying, from meat to fish, from veggies to fruit. Each day. Supermarkets are very very rare in the town centre. You’ll be able to doc the actual local life in a market
- it’s a simple place to have a chat with locals, ask concerning the space, about how lengthy do they stay there, and making a photo on the end with a narrative behind
- the markets are often between tall building, go searching and verify if you’ll find an elevated spot to take a photograph. The outcome could be actually spectacular. Multilevel parking buildings are all the time a superb choice
Landscape images in Hong Kong might be magnificent in addition to an entire failure. It all depends upon the climate.
One of many easiest, although best, photograph of Hong Kong Island to make is from the Avenue of Stars in Tsim Sha Tsui at night time.
This can be a long exposure photograph (30sec) at ISO 100 and f/11. Humidity is a little bit of concern in Hong Kong. I personally recommend utilizing an aperture between F/7 and f/11 for the sharpest photograph.
A tripod is just not obligatory for the above photograph as you’ll be able to depart your digital camera on the ground of the pier in Tsim Sha Tsui. In saying that, the tripod helps a ton (see later part for the gear I used on this trip).
For a wider view of Hong Kong take the tram to the Peak (more information right here on the transportation). That is the highest of the hill in Hong Kong Island.
The most effective mild comes at sunset. Through the day the view is beautiful but the photograph goes to be a bit flat. Unfortunately, during my keep, I had all the time a cloudy/rainy afternoon and subsequently I didn’t make it to the Peak (no visibility).
Right here is a vital tip I gathered earlier than my trip. When you get on prime you possibly can access the viewing platform via a gate (included in the worth). Nevertheless, once you allow the platform you will be unable to re-access.
The suggestion here is to access the viewing platform 30 minutes before sunset to set yourself on a great spot and look forward to the good mild there. It is going to be very busy, a minimum of based mostly on the few pictures and videos I’ve seen.
Right here under a photograph by our collaborator Remi Lesueur, to have an concept of the view.
Remi additionally steered a trip to Lamma Island, one other spectacular place for landscape images in Hong Kong (you’ll be able to read more about his expertise here)
Right here under a map with the Hong Kong images spots mentioned in this submit
You’ll be able to see the interactive Google map right here.
This can be a listing of my greatest locations for images in Hong Kong. I’m positive it’s an inventory that is going to grow with the subsequent trips. This city is so photogenic. There are so many alternatives.
This can be a self-paced images tour that I might recommend for a visit of two full days (Three nights). I will add also a number of spare places you might add on a third day or swap with those in the listing under.
I’ve divided the tour in two areas: Hong Kong Island (south of the bay in the map above) and Kowloon (north of the bay). For extra info and orinenteering, it is best to read what I wrote concerning the Hong Kong areas.
Day 1 – Hong Kong Island
- Early name in the morning and stroll to the Wan Chai Market. Right here you’ll be able to simply spend 2-Three hours
- Tram to the Elevated RoundAbout in Causeway Bay (you’ll be able to take a couple of pictures from the tram too)
- Lunch and occasional time (loads of places around)
- Tram to the Tsat Tsz Mui space for constructing images
- Practice to Central and tram to the Peak for sunset
- Down to Soho for dinner and a few road images
- Tram to Quarry Bay for constructing images (The Monster and Inception)
I know, an intensive day!
Day 2 – Kowloon
- Within the morning, the sooner the better, take a practice to the Choi Hung Estate for a number of pictures of the colourful buildings
- From there have a walk to the Ping Shek Property (the sq. building). These two estates ought to take a lot of the morning
- Have lunch to one of many small outlets around (simply maintain in thoughts that will probably be troublesome to talk in English, each areas will not be touristy)
- Practice to Mong Kok (you might also want to have lunch here) for some road images and images outlets
- Photography at the Mong Kok market
- It’s already dark, time for an elevated photograph of the Temple Road Night time Market
- Few extra photographs at the market itself, very fascinating
- Dinner in the world
- Taxi (10m) or stroll (30m) to the Avenue of Stars for the Hong Kong Island night time photograph and a few extra photographs/reminiscences of the famous movie stars
You might also need to think about these locations:
- Tai Kwun – Centre for Heritage and Arts (in Central)
- JC Modern (free entry), an ideal place to spend a few hours should you like modern artwork in addition to being also an superior spot for images
- Women Market
- Chi Lin Nunnery, where I made the photograph of the monk
In my images trip in Hong Kong, I used the following gear:
- Sony A7RII
- FE 4/24-105mm G OSS lens
- FE 2.8/35mm
- 2 spare batteries
- Gorilla Pod (easier to carry it round, I did not miss a tripod on this journey, I all the time discovered a place to put the Gorilla Pod)
- Samsung S9 (principally used for video and panorama photographs that I needed to posts right away on my Instagram tales)
- Zhiun Gymbal (for secure movies, essential)
I missed so much 2 issues:
- a large angle lens, it might have been good for building images
- a drone (unfortunately my next vacation spot was Vietnam where it will have been confiscated on the Da Nang Airport)
Final notice. I used to be travelling with my pal Marco that had a Sony A7RIII.
My take is that each cameras (II and III) are very comparable. I was jealous solely of his double reminiscence slot I need to say (I had all the time to make backups back in the lodge).
So stunned to see how badly works the GPS with the new Sony A7RIII (battery killer for each the digital camera and the cellular)
I was also jealous of Marco’s S10 Samsung. The vast angle lens is simply superb and the video stabilization is nearly comparable with my S9 + Gymbal (superb!).
Marco and I had this discussion previous to the trip and during our stay.
We even have a good friend in Hong Kong, Andrea, that’s dwelling there for over 10 years.
The digital camera and lenses prices usually are not too far from Europe or Australia. Chances are you’ll save a number of dollars, or euros, nevertheless, you’ll not have a guaranty working in your country (no worldwide cowl). Because of this if something occurs you’ll have to send the gear again to HK. In two phrases, undeserving.
SD Playing cards have a superb worth, in all probability 20% less. My solely tip here is to purchase from respected outlets and check them right away. The Wan Chai Pc Centre is an effective place to take a look at.
I hope this information to images in Hong Kong has answered all your question but please do depart a remark with any question or comment and I will reply in no time, no worries.